Need Breaking Updates?
Subscribe Now and Receive Breaking Stories directly to your email inbox daily
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
A fire in a high-end Midtown apartment building killed an elderly husband and wife early Saturday, officials said.
The blaze broke out in the couple’s ninth-floor apartment of the River House, a 27-story co-op on East 52nd Street near the FDR Drive, around 5:20 a.m., police said.
An 85-year-old woman, discovered inside with severe burns, was pronounced dead on scene. Her 89-year-old husband was rushed to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was also pronounced dead.
Three firefighters were taken to NYU Langone Medical Center — two with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, and one with minor injuries, the FDNY said.
Two other firefighters refused medical attention.
Modal TriggerThe two-alarm fire in a ninth-floor apartment at 435 East 52nd St. in Manhattan left two dead.
The two-alarm fire in a ninth-floor apartment at 435 East 52nd St. in Manhattan left two dead.G.N. Miller/Nicholas Jacobsson
The fire was believed to be an accident caused by a cigarette, police sources said.
The Art Deco-style River House is home to the exclusive River Club. Current sale prices for units there range from $3 million to $14 million, according to real estate site StreetEasy.