10 Shocking things you need to know about Orlando Pirates star Brilliant Khuzwayo
Need Breaking Updates?
Subscribe Now and Receive Breaking Stories directly to your email inbox daily
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
Goalkeeper Brilliant Khuzwayo (Kaizer Chiefs), Abel Mabaso, Paseka Mako and Linda Mntambo (all Chippa United), Kudakwashe Mahachi (Golden Arrows), and Meshack Maphangule (Black Leopards) will add further punch and depth to an already impressive Pirates squad that finished second behind Sundowns on the league table last season.
Here are things 10 Things you need to know about Brilliant Khuzwayo
– Nhlanhla Brilliant Khuzwayo grew up in Umlazi, He was called Khehlo, but he never quite found out what it means. “I’ve tried so many times to ask around, but nobody seems to be able to answer that question.”
– Khuzwayo is the first to emerge as an athlete in his family. “I’m the only one who plays sport in my family.” The goalkeeper has two sisters.
– The 27-year-old started playing soccer in the streets of Umlazi. “I liked diving around to catch the ball,” he remembers. “I soon started playing in goal against older boys.” The rest is history.
– His big inspiration was Brian Baloyi, who is at present Chiefs’ goalkeeper coach. “I will never forget the 1998 Rothmans Cup final. Brian was brilliant in the penalty shoot-out, helping us to beat Mamelodi Sundowns 2-1 on penalties and take the cup.”
– Amakhosi’s Football Manager Bobby Motaung approached Khuzwayo to join Chiefs. “I was at Thanda Royal Zulu in Richards Bay at the time,” he looks back. “To be honest, I have otherwise little memory of that conversation.” The goalkeeper joined the Glamour Boys for the 2012/2013 season.
– His role models have always been his father and late mother. “They inspired me, because, despite their poor background, they would always ensure that I was well looked after.”
– Khuzwayo loves PlayStation, with his preferred video game being FIFA18. “I am number 1,’ he boasts, before adding with a twinkle in eye, “while Itumeleng Khune is number 2.”
– The goalkeeper doesn’t watch much TV. “I am not a TV person.”
– He enjoys listening to hip-hop with his favourite artist being AKA.
– Khuzwayo speaks two languages, IsiZulu and English.